Mr. Owens is the founder of Scott D. Owens, P.A., known by members of the legal community and the media as one of the premier consumer protection law firms in the State of Florida. Since 2011, Mr. Owens has devoted his legal practice solely to defending consumers against intrusive and fraudulent methods employed by telemarketers, spammers, and debt collectors. His deep commitment to pro-consumer litigation was spurred by working for a debt collection law firm, where he witnessed how deceptive and aggressive business practices burden the lives of average citizens.
Mr. Owens litigates class action law suits in federal courts across the United States, focusing on violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), and FACTA (Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act). In most of these cases, Mr. Owens has recovered substantial monetary awards for the class, from hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars. Two of Mr. Owens’ most prominent cases include the largest FDCPA settlement in Florida, which obtained over $5 million in debt relief and monetary compensation for its clients, and one of Florida’s largest TCPA class-action suits, in which he recovered $11 million in damages for the class. Mr. Owens has led Florida’s effort to curb illegal telemarketing practices, including the “We Buy Junk Cars” text-messaging scam that targeted hundreds of thousands of the state’s residents in 2012.
- New England School of Law, J.D., 2000
- SUNY at Buffalo, B.A., 1996
Admitted To Practice:
- State of Florida
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- National Association of Consumer Advocates
- Federal Bar Association
- America Association of Justice
- Broward County Bar Association